Huwebes, Agosto 8, 2019

Song Meanings: Badflower's Promise Me



'The realization of getting old'

I love this new song from one of my favorite band Badflower that comes to this point that I need to make some write ups on it. It's about the realization in life that we are getting old and one day our time in this world will end. 

This song is an homage to the pain and struggles that come along with growing up with a loved one. Someone that you've cherish for so long. Most of the time we are scared to "let go" of the person we loved. Though we are aware of the ineluctable fact that we will grow old, in this song, the writer asks  the person to promise him that neither he nor they will grow up.

Real talk some of us are terrified of growing up. Afraid that we are not on the stage of being youth anymore not anymore in our 20's.  Afraid of responsibilities, afraid of not looking like or being perceived as a 'kid'. We struggle in the concept that getting old is inevitable. The song for me validates some of our most complex thoughts and fears in the most simplistic way.

"Promise Me" is an emotional track that oozes feelings of nostalgia and reluctance to accept loss and move on. This is probably my favorite song on the album. Not only because it's a departure from what we normally do musically and lyrically, but because it really feels like a story with a beginning, middle, and end. It describes the feeling of growing up, losing youth and losing love - which is a simple concept that scares the hell out of us.

Please listen to "Promise Me" with the touching music video and lyrics.


Badflower - 'Promise Me'

We're getting old now (We're getting old now)
But I don't feel it (But I don't feel it)
I say you're beautiful (I say you're beautiful)
And I still mean it (And I still mean it)
And I don't wanna know (And I don't wanna know)
What old age feels like (What old age feels like)
So promise me you won't (So promise me you won't)
Give up on this life (Give up on this life)
And we'll be busy tryin'
While the rest of them are dyin'
Promise me we'll never grow up
I don't wanna let go
I wanna stay young
And even when the wrinkles show up
We'll be laughing, and
We can play forever
Don't make me face the truth
I think it's obvious
That we'll stay happy
'Cause I'm the happiest ('Cause I'm the happiest)
When you smile at me
And we won't end the same
A broken family
I'll never



Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento